Cookies are a delicious treat enjoyed by kids and adults throughout the world. Kids are especially smitten with the tasty sweet pleasure. There are a variety of names used for these yummy treats. The Spanish call them galletas, the English call them biscuits, in Italy they are called Biscotti, the Germans call them kels, and in North America, they are called cookies. The first cookies were miniature cakes called koekje, which is a Dutch word meaning little cake. They were used to test oven temperatures before bakers cooked their cakes. The name koekje eventually evolved into the word cookie. It does not matter what name is used for this mouthwatering sweet indulgence, they are a snack that all kids love.
Store bought cookies are loved by kids. According to timeforkids.com, the following cookies are the top 5 selling brands:
1. Oreos: $519 million a year
2. Chips Ahoy: $347 million
3. Chips Deluxe: $160 million
4. Newtons: $137 million
5. Fudge Shoppe: $127 million
Although kids love store bought cookies, they especially love to eat cookies that are made in the home. As well, many parents will let their kids make the cookies with them. The kids love to bake and the parents get to enjoy some quality time with their children.
If you are interested in giving your kids homemade cookies, the following lists the top 5 most popular cookies for kids:1. Chocolate Chip Cookie: These cookies have always been a popular treat for kids. They are soft, chewy, and gooey. You can use standard chocolate chips, gourmet chocolate chips, or milk chocolate chunks. Either way, the kids love them. Ingredients include: all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, unsalted butter (melted,) brown sugar (firmly packed,) white sugar, vanilla extract, eggs, and semisweet chocolate chips or chunks
2. Double Chocolate Chip Cookies: The double chocolate chip cookie is loved by almost all kids. Ingredients include: butter, sugar, egg, vanilla, unsweetened cocoa powder buttermilk, all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, and semisweet chocolate chips.
3. Peanut Butter Cookies: Peanut Butter Cookies have always been a well loved treat by kids. For a burst of flavor, you can use a popular peanut butter brand such as Skippy, Peter pan, or Jiffy peanut butter. You can also add chocolate chips. To make them healthier, use all natural peanut butter. Ingredients include: granulated sugar, packed brown sugar, peanut butter, butter or margarine, shortening, egg, all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
4. Gingerbread Cookies: These cookies make for a wonderful satisfying delight. They can be made into many shapes and frosting can be added as decoration, Ingredients include all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, butter, softened, molasses, egg, ground cinnamon, baking powder, ground ginger, ground cloves, grated or ground nutmeg, baking soda, and salt.
5. Sugar Cookies: The sugar cookie is a delicious sweet cookie that you can cut into a variety of shapes. Ingredients include: margarine (or butter), granulated sugar, egg vanilla, all-purpose flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.
Kids love cookies so giving them this tremendously pleasing treat will definitely bring a smile to their faces.